How to Boost Your Immune System With Acupuncture As Fall Turns Into Winter
Fall has arrived and winter is on it’s way. In Texas, fall moves into winter with plenty of vacillating weather making it difficult for our bodies to adjust, then bang – cold weather is here! Our immune and respiratory systems need strong natural support during this time, and regular acupuncture is an excellent way to provide that support.
In Chinese Medicine the immune system is strongly related to internal organ function, mainly the Lungs and Spleen which need extra care during the winter season. When these organs are well-balanced they support the immune system and strengthen its function, this prevents you from being easily affected by external pathogenic factors such as cold and flu viruses and other infectious diseases.
A long winters “acu-nap,” helps to calm and relax the body, reducing extra stress that can come with the winter and holiday season, and boosting immunity to help you sustain good health.
In addition to Acupuncture, plenty of rest, and daily exercise help keep healthy energies flowing strongly, and remember a diet, full of nutrition is vital to good health. The abundance of local fruits, deep rooted vegetables and herbal plants that grow in the winter season right where we live support our bodies as nature intends. So visit and support your local farmers markets and grocery stores for a fresh colorful winter food supply full of the nutrition your body needs. Making rich soup broths with plenty of healthy winter veggies, dark leafy greens, and healthy grains; eating good healthy fats, and drinking warm teas are all excellent winter rituals that fuel the body. Here are a few more winter wellness tips:
- Avoid eating much frozen or cold foods; instead partake in warming foods which help sustain your body’s energies during the cold season.
- Be sure to get plenty of rest.
- Avoid exhausting yourself with overwork, or overjoy!
- Avoid stress and excess emotion by practicing good self-care and a form of meditation.
- Keep warm and protect yourself from the wind and cold with proper clothing such as a hat and scarf in addition to your warm jacket.
- Balance and support your body with natural medicine (such as acupuncture and herbs from seasons Health) before the change of weather so your body has what it needs to do well in the seasonal changes.
- Dry your hair before going to bed or out in the cold.
Charlotte offers herbal consults over the phone to her patients, assisting further in strengthening the immune system as well as resolving health issues that do arise so you can rest at home while recovering. She will also give you valuable diet, nutrition and lifestyle self care tips specific to your individual needs. Charlotte will set you up with a treatment plan to keep your body strong throughout the season, so remember Seasons Health can be a part of your family’s Winter Wellness Resource.