Traditional Chinese Medicine for Fertility, Pregnancy, Postpartum Care, and Hormone Balancing – from menarche to menopause
Building strong fertility for women and their partners with Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) dates back 2,000 years! These methods continue to be used today simply because they work. American Pregnancy Association studies report the most effective fertility treatments involve a combination of acupuncture, herbal medicine, and traditional medicine interventions. However, we must remember to trust the innate ability of our bodies wisdom because conception occurs often without any medical interventions when the proper holistic care is administered. Acupuncture, herbal and plant medicine remedies can help our bodies gently restore and guide us back to our own innate balance when needed.
Causes of infertility can be found in both men and women. Acupuncture can be used to help regulate the hormonal cycle so IUI and IVF treatments are more successful while simultaneously moderating the side effects associated with these treatments. Acupuncture can also help address erectile dysfunction, low sperm count, poor sperm morphology, painful intercourse, and low libido, while improving the quality of both the egg and sperm.
Researchers from Weill Cornell Medical Center in New York reviewed recent studies and concluded that acupuncture helps:
- Regulate the menstrual cycle.
- Increase blood flow to the uterus, which improves the chances of implantation.
- Reduce stress and anxiety. Hormones secreted during stressful situations can significantly decrease fertility.
- Normalize hormone and endocrine systems that regulate ovulation — this is also very helpful in women with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.
- Positively affect the hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis, which plays a key role in fertility.
- In 2008, the British Medical Journal published research which concluded that acupuncture can be offered as a significant, clinically relevant adjunct to IVF, relaxing the uterus and increasing blood flow for the successful implantation of an embryo.
During all three trimesters of pregnancy, acupuncture can be used to strengthen the lining of the uterus to support the baby as it continues to grow in the womb. In addition to relaxing mother’s body and helping to manage stress, acupuncture can help with other common ailments sometimes experienced during pregnancy such as:
- Poor memory
- Morning sickness
- Pregnancy rhinitis
- Swelling of hands and feet
- Gestational diabetes and preeclampsia
- Insomnia, anxiety and depression
- Low back pain, hip pain, neck and shoulder tension, achy joints, carpal tunnel, numbness and tingling in fingers, sciatica, and more.
Excellent self care during pregnancy sets the stage for well-being throughout motherhood, and well babies. Many things contribute to well-being during pregnancy, including plenty of deep restorative rest, eating a well rounded nutritious diet, gentle exercise, stress support and nurturing your passions to mention a few.
Acupuncture treatments during pregnancy are excellent self care to keep your body’s rivers of energy flowing freely, balanced and relaxed so your body can focus on what it is naturally able to do — grow a strong healthy baby! A solid self care practice during pregnancy will keep your reserves flowing for when they are needed even more — in motherhood! And I highly suggest you seek out plenty of mama support in addition to acupuncture — see resources page.
- Charlotte offers labor and delivery support in your home for home deliveries, or prior to hospital deliveries.
Excellent self care rituals during the postpartum year is vital to support healthy motherhood going forward, and the nourishment extends to your child, family and beyond. Taking care of yourself first truly matters, and also teaches your children the importance of self care in their own lives. My heartfelt advice is for Moms to become solidly settled into rituals of self care during pregnancy and postpartum years, which will enable them to care for others from a full cup and avoid going into motherhood depleted. Ask for and seek out support wherever you need it! Schedule your appointment to get started in your acupuncture self-care ritual for the postpartum years.
Acupuncture is excellent for building strong blood and energy during the mothering years, this helps:
- To both treat and prevent post natal depletion, and anxiety that can sometimes come with new motherhood.
- Energy pathways stay balanced
- Aches and pains from carrying baby
- Reduce stress levels
Hormone Balancing, From Menarche to Perimenopause & Menopause
Women in our culture need support to slow down, relax, and care for themselves so they have the energy to find and fulfill their personal life’s purpose. My wish, is for women in all their many roles to find time to know and nurture their inner world, before they extend themselves into all they do, so they come to those roles strong, healthy and shining brightly. My goal is to support women in building a community and self care routine where nurturing themselves is paramount, and to assist them in making this part of their daily existence.
Charlotte provides support for:
- Teens at onset of Menarche
- Diet, nutrition and lifestyle counseling to support healthy cycles, and to ease pre and post menopausal transitions
- Menstrual cycle balancing
- Balancing Mood
- Perimenopause and Menopause energy and hormonal fluctuations and symptoms such as — hot flashes, vaginal dryness, night sweats, urinary problems, depression, irritability, insomnia and nervousness, fatigue, lower back pain and more.
Is a home visit right for you? Learn about home visits.