Solstice Greetings and Winter Wellness Tips
The longest night of the year is tonight, December 21st, beginning our journey into Winter. Today is a good time to reflect upon the darkness and the amazing things that happen in the night, and then how we can bring light into our being in the New Year. Winter is often a challenging time for our immune and respiratory systems. To stay healthy and vital through the winter months it is important to support and strengthen our body’s natural defense mechanism, the immune system. When the immune system is strong, the body is better prepared to handle the ever changing Texas weather, stress, and the unavoidable pressures of daily life. Probiotics can safeguard your health this winter, keep your digestion working, eliminate harmful microbes from your body protecting it from dangerous bacteria and viruses. They can also heal your intestines from antibiotics and greatly enhance your immune system, helping you avoid seasonal allergies and asthma. Not any probiotic will do, visit me for the probiotic best matched for your constitutional need and a wealth of other comprehensive care and products available.
Tips for Preventing and Treating the Flu:
- Eat local and seasonal foods that support your body in winter and avoid foods that deplete your body of the reserves it will need during this season
- Schedule an appointment for your Winter Wellness Diet Solution
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick and avoid touching your own mouth, nose and eyes when away from home and unable to wash your hands
- Wash your hands well several times daily with a gentle non antibacterial soap
- Chinese medicine believes that wind invasion can weaken your body and make catching a cold more likely, so protect your body from the wind by donning a scarf, hat and underclothes on your body and your child’s when outdoors this winter, keep your feet warm and dry and if they do get wet, and have delicious cod liver oil available to boost your immunity!
- Protect your good health this year with the comprehensive range of care and products available from me, including chinese herbal anti-virals and winter tonics
Remember as you watch the colorful leaves fall conserving the tree’s energy for the cold winter’s months, the roots of the tree are reaching deep into the warm earth for protection so it can continue to thrive and grow all winter long. We are connected to nature and can glean guidance from watching the plants and animals prepare themselves for winter. Little squirrels are gathering nuts with plenty of healthy fat to keep themselves nourished all winter long. Creatures are burrowing down into the warmth of the earth for a winter’s nap. This winter visit your local farmer’s markets and load up on deep root vegetables and dark greens that grow this season to nourish your bodies, drink warm rich homemade broths, get plenty of rest, keep warm and cozy and have a prosperous New Year full of all things that bring you and yours joy and that priceless feeling of good health.
Charlotte Sobeck, MSOM, L.Ac.